Friday, August 28, 2009

Oldies but Goodies: The Replacements - Let It Be




My post earlier this week about the similarities that exist between Paul Westerberg and Jay Reatard got me thinking.  The Replacements have become quite possibly the most influential forgotten band in the context of the general younger public.  Think about it; when do you ever go into a bar, party, sporting event...etc, and hear a Replacements song playing?  Even worse, you could probably play their biggest tracks for random people on the street under 30, and maybe 2 out of every 10 would be able to pinpoint them as the artist.  And they're probably one of the top-ten bands of the 80's.

Let It Be is my favorite Replacements album and in my opinion, their best.  I'm sure plenty would disagree, but it's on Let It Be that you hear their real influence.  Paul Westerberg and Co beautifully blend Beatles-esque pop rock with the punk sound that they'd originated with.  Here's two tracks; the opener, I Will Dare, and Unsatisfied.  Both are nothing short of classics.  I can't recommend the rest of the album highly enough.





No comments: