Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Favorite Albums of the 2000's: #7

The National: Boxer



I had a good 2 or 3-month span where I listened to nothing but this album almost everywhere I went. Driving to work, grocery shopping, hanging around the house...you name it. Anyone in their 20's and even 30's can get something from this LP. To me, it's just about trying to find yourself as you're growing into being an actual adult. How to deal with finding and losing loves, good times with friends, getting one's shit together after major fuck-ups...etc. This is one of those albums that makes you reflect on the path you've taken to get to where you are, and how one might want to view it going forward. It's music that's bold but subtle, uplifting but dark, and innovative yet classic. In short, it's everything about post-punk that one can love all rolled up into 44 minutes, and it always puts a smile on my face. Matt Barringer's baritone voice is just awesome. I'm jealous of anyone who's never heard this album and gets to hear it for the first time.





No comments: